How You Can Help During National Mentoring Month
January is National Mentoring Month and we are so excited to announce our campaign to recruit 300 Mentors In 30 Days!
Right now many youth in King, Pierce, and Kitsap counties are waiting for mentors. Our goal during National Mentoring Month is to find mentors for these youth by spreading the word to adults in our community who want to have a positive impact on kids and teens.
Years of evidence and research prove that mentorship is a powerful way to have an impact. Youth with mentors show improved mental health, better relationships with family and peers, and reduced interactions with school discipline. Mentors grow and build interpersonal skills, as well as making life-long friendships that strengthen our community.
Our mentors have wonderful things to say about their experiences and why they would recommend being a Big to others –
“Becoming a Big is just as rewarding for you as it is for your Little (if not more). You grow and learn about yourself as well and having a positive impact on someone is irreplaceable.”
“How many opportunities do you get to truly impact someone’s life? You might initially assume you are the one doing the favor for the Little by spending time with them, but then over time you realize that you get as much out of the program as they do. It’s very rewarding to see your Little grow. And if you are a 36 year old “big kid” like me it’s fun to do the activities of the youngest generation!”
You can help more people access this powerful and life-changing experience.
It’s easy! You can share a social media post, use our Zoom/Teams background, or just talk to friends and loved ones about how they can sign up. If each person who reads this blog signs up or gets just one person to sign up we will meet our goal.
Will you help us?
Here’s what you can do to help us find 300 new mentors:
- Sign up to become a mentor here
- Talk to friends and family about becoming mentors
- Share about your own personal experiences with mentorship on social media to encourage others to become mentors – tag @BBBSPS and #300mentorsin30days and ask folks to sign up to be a mentor at http://bit.ly/3WZxjEj
- Host a virtual Lunch & Learn at work – Sign up here
- Use the Zoom/Teams background image below during video calls to help raise awareness
- Follow us on Facebook, LinkedIn, or Instagram
- Like and share our posts to help us reach more people